
Hello lovely readers. Welcome to the latest installment of the fortnightly femme. We managed to miss an installment not so long ago, so I do hope you will forgive us.
As you hopefully know, the fortnightly femme is an interview with a lady who personifies the ethos of the Ladies Dress & Dish through her love of vintage. She doesn't have to be someone with perfectly marcel waved her, scarlet lipstick with an expertly drawn cupid's bow, dressing in only original vintage all day every day and knows everything about some vintage designer perhaps only 5 other people have ever heard about. The fortnightly femme is someone very real just like you and me, who loves vintage things in their own way; be it dressing in their granny's old clothes, collecting old teapots or listening to Billie Holiday.
This time around our femme is a friend of mine for many many years, our very own Chiara who writes the Kitchen Corner feature. So without further a do, I shall leave you to our very own modern day Betty Crocker.
1. Firstly could you tell us a little about yourself?
My name is Chiara, I’m 24. I studied an honours BA in Culinary Arts in Cathal Brugha St. I did a different course there too, was still on cooking. so I am fully qualified to do my job or at least on paper. I’m currently working as a pastry chef in a very busy place in town, its in IFSC and its called ELY Bar and Brassiere. I love my job but it is hard work...
2. How would you describe your style and what do you typically wear on a normal day?My style can be well quite boyish to be honest, although you’d be surprised the amount of dresses I do actually own. Usually on a everyday basis I just wear jeans an a t-shirt. It’s easy to change in and out of. the rest of the time Its usually work clothes. Except on those random occasions I NEED to dress up.
3. If you could have anyone’s wardrobe and its content in the world, who would it be?
Either Audrey Hepburn’s, I love the simplicity of it or Steve Buscemi’s in Boardwalk Empire, I have a very large soft spot for 3 piece suits
4. What to you makes vintage so desirable?
The classy look to it, its simplicity, clean cuts and well somewhat more figure friendly and well it just looks so much better than a lot of the stuff you see around today.
5. What is your favourite I can’t believe it’s not vintage piece in your possession?
A Skater dress, simple straight cut, rounded collar with lace sleeves. Love it.
6. What has been your best bargain buy – when/where/how much – Dish girl! Dish!
An amazing dress I got from Black Swan as a trade between her and Blue Ruin,
7. Do you ever feel you were born in the wrong era?
Defo, I am always complaing about todays society and the lack of respect and shivelry that the younger generation have.
8. How did you first become interested in vintage things and the good old days?
I used to dress up in my nannies clothes when I was younger, well also my mams but she had some really cool old stuff that she doesn’t even wear. You can still catch me doin that actually with my sister sometimes.
![]() |
| On one such evening of coffee fueled fun... |
Sitting around with all my friends having a laugh. whether its just a few quite drinks or movie night or something as lame as coffee, being with my friends keeps me grounded not that i get to see them much
10. Who would you invite to your fantasy tea party (real, historical or fictional)?
Probably chefs. Like Savarin, or Careme, although I would really like Ferran Adria I would love to pick his brain, for the laugh I would have to say Freud, just to find out why he thinks everything reverts back to your mam. Music wise maybe Dimebag Darrell, Zakk Wylde and Chris Cornell and Eddie Vedder. Tim Burton, Oscar Wylde and Billy Conolly for some extra added laughs. My best mate Simon Flood and the other half Brian.
11. What three things could you not live without?
Hmmmm, my music, my jack collection, and my sister.
11. If you had one piece of advice to pass on, what would it be?
There is drama everywhere you go; it’s just a matter of being the bigger person and not reacting and getting on with your job. I know this from expierance, kitchen s are one of the places that there is constant drama even when there shouldn't be, there is.
12. Do you have a favourite quote?
“The only way to atone for being occasionally a little over-dressed is by being always absolutely over-educated.” ― Oscar Wilde
13. Tell us something random about yourself?
It has been nearly a year since the last time I died my hair, which is the longest in 12years I have managed to go without changing it every 2-3 weeks. I mean it would have been a new colour and there variations, I still miss not having electric purple or pink hair but i am on a mission to go the year or maybe longer im sure i will end up dying it again eventually.



No comments:
Post a Comment