This time we have the pleasure of talking to our lovely blog contributor, Lily Afuera, who is possibly the only señorita in Madrid wearing high heels everyday.
I've had the pleasure of calling her a friend for a few years now. We met through college where we spent a very memorable year working together in the Students' Union. Since then she has relocated to Madrid for an Erasmus year and despite not even being in different country she has proven herself to be indispensable to the Dress & Dish club, giving encouragement, her time and invaluable advice. She is definitely a lady of substance, character and charm so I am very glad she agreed to be our new Fornightly Femme.
- Blue
1. Firstly could you tell us a little about yourself?
I’m a 21 year old Irish lady living in Madrid. I’m going into my 7th year of a relationship with my beau and I wouldn’t change it for the world. I’m already dreaming of the day that I can potter around in my own customised kitchen with a frilly apron and a roast in the oven. Until then I suppose my tiny corridor kitchen in Madrid will have to do!
2. How would you describe your style and what do you typically wear on a normal day?
My style is definitely my own. Depending on my mood, I will wear something completely different on a day-to-day-basis. I love dressing up, and am never happy just throwing on a pair of jeans, and never a tracksuit! (You can tell I don’t frequent gyms often). Tea-dresses are a fantastic option for every-day wear. You can dress them up with a necklace and a pair of heels, or dress them down with a pair of boots and tights. I love to mix contemporary with vintage, combining everything in my wardrobe.
Yesterday, for example, I went to college wearing a pair of patterned harem pants, a baggy cream t-shirt with open sides (to show off my new tattoo!) and a huge chunky belt. Today however, I’m popping into Madrid’s city centre to visit an Artesan Food Fair, so I think something a little more classy is in order… Perhaps my Parisian patterned skirt with the underskirt, and a sheer black fitted blouse with tiny white flowers. Yes, I do believe you’ll do.
3. If you could have anyone’s wardrobe and its content in the world, who would it be?After much thought and deliberation, I would have to say Kate Middleton. She does classic with ease (although she’s probably got an entourage of stylists actually picking the clothes out for her though). My only issue is that I’d have to have her figure, and I’m about a foot too small. I suppose I could have her clothes taken up, and quite possibly let out. If Kate decided that she didn’t want to give me all of her clothes, then I’d have to say Audrey Hepburn. Belle de Jour from Secret Diary of a Call Girl makes me drool with her clothes, but she’s not a real person, so that’s a bit of a no-no. For underwear? Definitely Dita Von Teese. No second thoughts there.
4. What to you makes vintage so desirable?
I love thinking of the memories and happy moments that could have been made by someone else in that item of clothing. That is, however, why I feel weird about buying vintage hand-bags. A hand-bag is so personal to a woman that I feel wrong going through someone else’s! The quality of vintage clothes is never replicated nowadays. As well as that, I think that vintage style really shows how a woman can look good. With nipped-in waists and flattering skirts, how could a girl not look her best?
5. What is your favourite I can’t believe it’s not vintage piece in your possession? At Christmas I bought a suit dress in H&M. The dress is a white, shin-length, fitted halterneck with a row of black buttons going down the front. It’s finished off with a black lapel, and the fitted jacket just tops it off perfectly. I topped it off with a black slip, silk seamed stockings, a pair of monochrome heels, my black woollen coat with the (faux) fur collar and a black felt top-hat with some feathers. Yum.
6. What has been your best bargain buy – when/where/how much – Dish girl! Dish!
I’ve always considered myself a thrifty shopper, but I have to say that my favourite, most-worn item of clothing was only €3 in Pennys. It’s my nipped-waist, flared skirt with a Parisian print and a poofy underskirt. It’s perfect for every occasion and looks fabulous with a floral-print apron!
7. Do you ever feel you were born in the wrong era?
Completely. I’m quite a feminist in the way of thinking that men and women should have equal rights and choices, but I can easily see myself as a homemaker in the future- and I’d love it! I love the music from past eras, the fashion, the food and the old-fashioned way of thinking and making do with what you have.
8. How did you first become interested in vintage clothing and the good old days?
I always loved old photos of movie stars and the glamour of the old days, but it was actually my good friend Blue Ruin who really taught me to love vintage!
9. What would your ideal night entail…
My ideal night is a dressed-up dinner with my Jack. We’d come home, cuddle on the couch and watch an old movie, then head to bed… (And if there are candles involved, then that’s even better!)
10. Who would you invite to your fantasy tea party (real, historical or fictional)?
Belle de Jour from Secret Diaries of a Call Girl. She’d be great craic. I’d invite Ella Fitzgerald so she could take care of the music for the night. Kate Middleton could come too so I could at least try to steal her coat while she wasn’t looking. I’d probably send Marilyn Monroe an invite too; just say I could say I had her in my house. I suppose if I was asking Marilyn, I’d have to ask Audrey Hepburn. It would only be fair.
11. Name three things you couldn't live without...1. My make up- without it I may as well be running around naked.
2. High heels- I don't feel fully dressed without them either!
3. My boyfriend. I honestly don't know what I'd do without him. He is my other half and my rock. After being together for 6 years, the last year that I've been in Spain has been almost impossible since he's still in Ireland- but it's proved to us that if we can make it after being apart for this long, that we can make it through anything.
12. If you had one piece of advice to pass on, what would it be?
Never, ever feel obliged to wear what everyone else is wearing- unless you really love it. Also, luminous colours are a no-no. In any situation.
13. Do you have a favourite quote?
I actually have a few:
When you see a shooting star, at that moment all that matters is who is holding your hand - Me!
Make the most of yourself, for that is all there is of you – Ralph Waldo Emerson.
La esperanza es lo ultimo que se pierde – A traditional Spanish saying which means that hope is the last thing to be lost.
14. Before we finish, tell us something random about yourself.
I have 11 piercings, two tattoos and an insatiable urge to climb onto statues when I’ve had a few drinks.




No comments:
Post a Comment